The Spoken word.

 Experiment A: Well, this was defiantly an experience. Firstly, I used a friend of mine to complete this assignment. Beforehand, I explained what I was trying to achieve in this experiment, how different people worldwide have multiple ways of communicating with each other, how different languages are used, and how we will try to simulate that encounter. She is currently in a four-year university to become a speech pathologist to be a special education teacher, so langue and communication are extremely important and exciting to my subject. I could only do face gestures, hand motions, and mouth words for the first fifteen minutes. It started simply enough; she talked about basic stuff like her day and minor grievances. After around the 10-minute mark, I could tell she was getting uncomfortable. I can only do so many motions with my hands, and trying to mouth words was not helping either. At some point, she did not know what to talk about because I could not give input on the points she was talking about. At some point, she just started to talk about something personal she was dealing with, which made me struggle to help. Because I am studying to become a psychologist or therapist, calling through stress and hardship is something I love and is easy for me to do, but I found myself at a disadvantage.

Regarding who had the power, I do not think we were in power of the conversations. Without feedback on her one-sided conversation, we both were at a loss. Yes, that is the first and only thing I thought about when I did this first part of the experiment. "How do people who do not speak my primary language feel when I try to alter my English language to help them understand it?" My father's wife was from Iran and did not speak English for the first three to five years when she arrived, and I could empathize with her and her struggle. "This is so difficult when you cannot speak back to me," were her words, and my response after the fifteen minutes was, "It is only going to get more difficult from now."

Experiment B: No, I could not complete the whole fifteen-minute-long experiment without doing hand or head movements. I found myself having to speak louder when speaking or laughing about what we just did in part A. When we finally spoke freely, we talked about how uncomfortable it must be for people who cannot communicate with others. They did feel like something was very missing from the conversations we usually have. For the sign langue or hand movements, I had to do to get her to understand what I was saying was like me being underwater and not having a voice. You will not get what you are saying across without the spoken word. She knows sign langue, but I do not, so she suggested teaching me that for part A, but I just refused to talk about it to her. I do not know if she picked up on all of my body langue during part A, and when I asked, she replied that it just seemed like I was struggling after all her wrong guesses. "A bad game of charades," as she put it. I believe it would be difficult to read body langue if someone was in pain or uncomfortable because all movements mimic the last one.

Part 3: I think it would have been easier to write down my responses to her, and she even suggested it, but I firmly shook my head and pointed at the guidelines. Written langue is an excellent advantage because we can get across what we actually want to say to the person. Straight forward. I believe that written language is helpful in its change on globalization because it only gets our points across that we want to be read. It does not leave anything to be miscommunicated. When we bring in speech or body language, it can mislead or confuse people outside our culture. 

Comments

  1. Initial comment: When all your points are collapsed into one paragraph, it makes it difficult to parse out your responses to each prompt. It is to your advantage to ensure that your answers are clearly indicated. Separate each set of guideline prompts into separate paragraphs.

    Came back to the top for another comment: Make sure you read these guidelines very carefully and respond to the questions as asked. You struggled here with some sections because you wandered away from the topics or didn't address the specific questions. If you need to ask questions about the prompts, please do so.

    Part 1: Great opening description here.

    Regarding "power":

    "I do not think we were in power of the conversations."

    I suggest you are missing the idea of "power" here. In a conversation, you will can potentially have a power differential. Think about if you are talking to your boss or supervisor... they have the power in the conversation. If you are talking to someone over which you have authority, then YOU have the power. Power can be expressed by the ability to direct the conversation, to ask questions, to start or topic or end it. But power is also expressed by the ability to just walk away from the conversation. Given that description, re-evaluate your answer here.

    Your next section effectively addresses the second question in the final prompt. I appreciate you reflecting on a personal experience in terms of how it relates here. But missing the first part of this prompt regarding the two cultures, one speaking an one non-speaking. Yes, I recognize that your personal experience applies, but address the questions directly.

    Part 2: "I found myself having to speak louder when speaking or laughing about what we just did in part A."

    But isn't vocal intonation and volume ALSO body language?

    "You will not get what you are saying across without the spoken word. "

    The topic here is communicating without *body* language, not spoken language. Can you reflect on that here instead?

    "She knows sign langue, but I do not, so she suggested teaching me that for part A"

    But the guidelines specified that sign language is a type of symbolic language, so it wasn't allowed regardless.

    I'm missing a lot of your responses here for the prompts. You are broadly just discussing your reflective conversation with your partner, but you are broadly discussing the two experiments, not addressing the specific questions. For example, the third prompt asks you to discuss the function of body language and also asks you to explore what it means when body language contradicts spoken language. Missing responses to both questions. The first question of the fourth prompt is asking you to explore the idea that some people have difficulty reading body language. You talk about your partner reading *your* body language but not the concept that there are people (like those on the autism spectrum or people who are blind) who are physically unable to read body language.

    " I believe it would be difficult to read body langue if someone was in pain or uncomfortable because all movements mimic the last one. "

    For the last question, think about a situation where body language might mislead you, not because someone is lying to you but because you don't understand their system of body language. When might body language of others mislead you and it would be better to ignore it? Do all cultures use the same system of body language? They all use different systems of spoken/written language, so why would we assume their body language isn't different? If you travel to another country, can you trust the information you get from their body language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google limited the length of my comment. I'll finish it here:

      Part 3: Why would using written language have made Part 1 easier?

      "Written langue is an excellent advantage because we can get across what we actually want to say to the person. "

      This second prompt response needed to be expanded. How does written language benefit humans? We can record events, track records, and spread ideas more reliably and certainly faster. Think about how this impacts education and science and trade.

      "It does not leave anything to be miscommunicated."

      To a certain extent, yes. Unfortunately, written language also permits *misinformation* to spread quickly as well. Think about how misinformation regarding Covid and vaccines has been allowed to spread through written information on Twitter and Facebook, etc. The information can be transmitted faster and more reliable, but that includes both accurate AND inaccurate information.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrew! Going through your response, I loved the way that you were able to connect this experiment to your father's wife learning English and realizing how complex it actually is. This was probably a big turning point for her as she might not have initially thought this experiment would be so hard to complete. I was also unable to last the full fifteen minutes as it is very hard to communicate using purely your voice and no other body language. I also agree that written language would make it easier for this experiment, as it allows for you to express the exact words instead of only hinting towards it through body language. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, nice post I really enjoyed reading your post. At the start when you shared that you were doing the first activity with a friend who wants to be a speech pathologist, I thought that was a great idea. While it is difficult, receiving the "silent" treatment your friend may face that in their future career. Also, just like you and your friend, me and my partner had a hard time completing all 15 minutes of part 1. When it started out it was fresh and interesting, but by about 10 minutes or so it started to get a bit awkward. I also agree with your final thoughts in part 3. Verbal and written language is so important to end any miscommunications. While body language can play a role, it's not perfect when it comes to communication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andrew! I like how you highlighted that as the conversation went on, it started to get a bit dryer from the lack of input your partner could continue off of. When we converse we usually listen to the person's response to say your next bit of information that you want to convey. You must have been in a tight spot to continue the experiment while she was explaining something personal. At that point, I would have dropped the experiment. I think in terms of power, your partner definitely had the power. It wasn't that you both didn't have power, because at least one person in this case being your partner, was able to conduct the conversation to her liking and however she wanted. So in my opinion, I think she had the power when you couldn't talk back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment